Thoughtful Blog Posts are me working through ideas. It might be scary, but you can get an idea of how I work through ideas. These are mostly “philosophical” in approach. Some have “accused” them of intellectualization. :-) I call them thoughtful because, to me, they are more simply full of thoughts.
Other things that are more “permanent” in their idea as well as their expression are below.
- “Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up nor give in.” Promise of the The Doctor, The Day of the Doctor, Doctor Who. (TV show)
- “But while the hungry man seek any food in sight, the greedy man seek only appetite.” - Ben Harper, Wicked Man (song)
- “There comes a time when we must decide between what is easy and what is right.” - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter (book series)
- “First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out — Because I was not a Socialist. Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out — Because I was not a Trade Unionist. Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out — Because I was not a Jew. Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.” - Martin Niemöller
- “When you are calm and at peace you will know what to do.” - Yoda, Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back (movie)
- “There will always be those who mean to do us harm. To stop them we risk awakening the same evil within ourselves. Our first instinct is to * seek revenge when those we love are taken from us. But that’s not who we are.” - James T. Kirk, Star Trek: Into Darkness (movie)
- “Growing up is not becoming mature, but knowing when to act like a kid and when not too” - my Grandmother
- “Man’s mind is not a container to be filled, but rather a fire to be kindled.” - Dorthea Brande
- “We learn … 10% of what we read, 20% of what we hear, 30% of what we see, 50% of what we see and hear, 70% of what we discuss, 80% of what we experience, 95% of what we teach others.” - unknown
- “Do what you fear most and you control fear. If you don’t control fear, fear controls you.” - Tom Hopkins
- “The best people possess a feeling for beauty, the courage to take risks, the discipline to tell the truth, the capacity for sacrifice. Ironically, their virtues make them vulnerable; they are often wounded, sometimes destroyed.” - Ernest Hemingway
- “When you lose the past, and the future makes no sense, you’re living in the present tense.” - Rush, The Present Tense (song)
- “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King, Jr. (I also saw this in a fortune cookie once.)
- “Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things. But also the bad things don’t necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant.” - Doctor Who, Vincent & The Dr. (TV show)
- “To say that we’re doomed is just an obvious remark. And it don’t make ya right, it just keeps ya in the dark.” - John Mellencamp, Another Sunny Day (song)
- “Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can be great.” - Mark Twain
- “The bastard form of mass culture is humiliated repetition … always new books, new programs, new films, news items, but always the same meaning.” - Roland Barthes
- “Memory is the residue of thought.” - Oliver Quinlan
- “We all change. When you think about it, we are all different people throughout our lives. And that’s okay, that’s good (you gotta keep moving) so long as you remember all people that you used to be.” - Doctor Who, The Time of the Doctor. (TV show)
- “Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame.” - Doctor Who, The Day of the Doctor. (TV show)
- “Adam Smith was right about scarcity and goods, but it is completely different with expression and information, he said. In the latter case, familiarity is important, while scarcity really is not. If he has the largest diamond in the world in his pocket, it is still valuable even though no one knows it is there. But he can have the best song ever in his head, and it has no value unless it is shared with others. It then gathers value slowly, dependent on how many people can sing along.” - paraphrased from John Perry Barlow
- Darkness can not drive out darkness. (actually a quote from Martin Luther King Jr.)
- There is no fear for the one whose thought is not confused.
- Change your thoughts and you change your destiny.
- Both a good laugh and a good cry cleanse the mind, soul and body.
- A feeling is an idea with roots.
- As soon as you feel too old to do something, do it.
- The love of your life will carry you through any circumstances.
- An aim in life is the only fortune worth finding.
- It is more difficult to judge oneself than to judge others.
- Be bold, brave and forthright, and the bold, brave and forthright will gather around you.
- Nothing is impossible to a willing heart.
- Everything seems impossible until someone actually does it.
- A sweetheart is often too beautiful for words, but not for arguments.
- Yet by calling full, you created emptiness.
- The arduous path is often fulfilling.
- Your worth consists in what you are and not in what you have.
- Joy shared is doubled. Sorrow shared is halved.
- [[Yes this actually was in a fortune cookie]] A real patriot is happy when getting a parking ticket because he knows the system works.
My Own Thoughts:
- the two trues sins are laziness and fear.
- to change the world one has to take their undue share of what they’re trying to change.
- the world around us causes our internal pendulums to swing. when it swings to extremes, we are unsettled. when it does not swing we are * listless. we can never, should never, stop the pendulum from swinging. yet since most of the world around us cause it to swing to extremes, we should find ways to lessen the arch.
- all our problems stem from when we deny the similarities and differences in reality around us. we need to notice the real patterns which is implicit in understanding when things are alike and when they are different.